Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What Have I Been Reading Lately?

I was reading through some of my old posts and realized I have diverged away from my original focus and that was to blog about my bookworm alter ego. I am not sure what that means exactly, but I am pretty sure it has something to do with my love of reading. So I figured I should smart'n up and write about what I have been reading lately.

1. "Seriously, I'm Kidding" by Ellen Degenesis


I found that like anything written by Jenny McCarthy, this book was entertaining. It's humor is undeniable and expected as it was written by a former comedian. Although I found myself oddly annoyed in particular chapters. I felt preached at on topics like American Idol or the values of meditation. I was bored. However I did appreciated other sessions emphasising the importance of the human experience; underlying topics like kindness and basic courtesy. It got me thinking and laughing, I love that. So I give this book a solid 3 1/2 bookmarks out of 5.

2. "What to Expect The First Year" by Heidi Murkoff



LOVE THIS! That sums it up. This book has been such an awesome help in navigating developmental milestones for my baby's first year. It's well laid out and easy to surf through. Simply awesome!

3. The Original "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson


This imaginative, childlike cartoon is a classic. It is so cleaver that humor just pours out of it. When I first met my husband he was a big cartoon fan. He read Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, anything that was culturally relevant and funny. I thought they were lame and childish. I stayed uninterested in comic for years. Then a while back, I started to wonder what the big deal was so I cracked one open and the rest is history. I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants. I found myself being taken on a journey through each cell that I could not put down. To this day I still enjoy picking one up just for a laugh.

4. "Today's Parent" Magazine



I love Today's Parent. I have been reading it over a year and would sum it up as mindless reading. However it has a tonne of helpful articles on parenting, cooking, vacationing, etc. I love that I can pick it up anytime during the day and read something completely new. At the end of every month, I wait around for it to arrive in my mailbox like a kid a Christmas. It's nice to have light material hanging around to browse whenever you feel up to it.

5. The Bible

My Bible is my daily bread. I have read many self help books in my time and none have compared to the power of God' Holy Word! It is so instructional and relevant to our present day. I encourage anyone who is even remotely interested to peruse it's pages and find comfort in them.

So these are some titles I have been juggling recently. I'll try to keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment